Gilead is an unincorporated community in Perry Township. It was founded
about 1840 and platted in 1844 by Adam E. Rhodes, who had settled there in 1835.
It is named after the biblical Gilead, which is the name of three persons and
two geographic locations.
Gilead is home to one church, and once had a school that served grades 1-12.
The school was abandoned in the 1960's after the opening of North Miami
Despite its remote location and small population, Gilead supports four stores;
the Gilead General Store, Squirrel Creek Bulk Foods, Raber's Kountry Store LLC,
and Interurban Collectables